Monday, December 11, 2006

It Boggles the Tastebuds...

I thought that I was only going to want to drink the Francis Coppola wines for the next month or so, but I got a surprise. I was rummaging in my wine "cellar" tonight, looking for a red to go with my whole wheat pasta, and I found that I was completely out of Coppola wines. (This just was the crowning touch on an already bad day.) I continued to poke around for a red that wasn't too expensive, and came across a bottle of Bogle 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon that I'd purchased on a whim but never tried. I wasn't expecting much, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised. While the wine had a very alcoholic bouquet which made me think the wine would be thin and astringent, it was quite the opposite. The bouquet was completely different from the taste in this case. This wine was smooth and somehow sweet and flavorful yet dry with a big rich but clean fresh autumn berry taste with a hint of leather and tobacco. It was like a Twizzler sitting in a club chair, smoking a cigar. The tannins were soft, and there was no acidity - just smooth even flavor. I REALLY liked this, and it will go on my "must buy" list of wines that I always want to find when I reach into the cellar.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Sounds beautiful...I'll have to try it!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ann Latner said...

Let me know what you think! I'll be very interested in a second opinion. I had it again tonight and it held up just as well.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home