Sunday, January 07, 2007

Chateau St Jean - 2005 Fume Blanc

I wish I could remember whether I bought this wine when I was actually visiting Chateau St Jean this summer, or at a local wine store. I hope it was the latter, because that means that I'll be able to buy it again.

This was an interesting wine. It is a combination of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon grapes. It had a golden, straw-like color, and an aroma of tart apples, wood and cut grass. The taste was light and crisp, with a distinct citrus tone (made me think of lemons, but not in a bad way). It was a bright, grassy wine with a hint of apple.

I had this with some pasta with pesto, which wasn't the worst pairing in the world.

I'll admit that I often avoid Sauvignon Blanc as a wine because the sometime description of the aroma as "cat piss" rang too close to home for me. (I had a cat who took liberties around the house). However, I found this wine to be very drinkable and smooth, and I would get it again. I envision that it would be a great wine for spring or summer, served quite cold with a salad or vegetable appetizer.

Chateau St Jean does a fine job with its wines. On our trip there this summer, we were extremely impressed with the quality of the wines and beauty of the grounds. If you ever get to Sonoma, CA, you should take the time to visit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the winery. Very nice - and the premium tasting room is wonderful. Whenever I'm there, I buy as much late harvest reisling as I can. It doesn't get better than that.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home