Monday, May 22, 2006

Concha y Toro Frontera 2004

I'm a big believer in the theory that you don't need to spend a lot to get a good wine, so I had hopes for a new wine that we tried this past weekend. The brand name is Concha y Toro (which translated means Shell and Bull) and it hails from Chile -- where many reasonably priced, and sometimes tasty, wines can be found. This one wasn't really one of them however. It was a cabernet (85%)/merlot (15%) blend, which I often like. Blends can sometimes be interesting -- combining the best qualities of both types of grape. There is an Australian winery - Black Opal - that makes a nice cab/merlot blend... but I digress. The label on this wine described it as "ready to drink now" and "perfect to celebrate everyday victories." I think it was probably ready to drink last week, and it didn't improve in the meantime. It tasted alcoholic, but with little fruit. It certainly wasn't the worst wine I'd ever had, but I'd describe it as mediocre. It probably would make a fine base for summer sangria, but I likely won't bother getting it again to drink straight. I hate that adage that "you get what you pay for" but perhaps it was unfair of me to expect a 1.5 liter bottle of wine that cost barely over five dollars to be a standout.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann Latner said...

I have to leave a comment to my own posting! I was reading Wine Spectator today and they had a review of Chilean wine - and guess which brand came up several times in both the good value category and overall best category -- you guessed it - Concha y Toro. HOWEVER - the wine that won accolades was NOT the Frontera. I suspect that the Frontera was an outing into reasonably priced middle-of-the road wine. On Wine Spectators's advice I will give Concha y Toro another chance.

6:28 PM  
Blogger knowlengr said...

Sometimes the Spectator's views are just Toro.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what they think of the Concho y toro frontera merlot and chardonnay- we are having our wedding at a lodge that has steep mark up on their wines- so we are considering these wines.. any comments?

11:54 PM  
Blogger Ann Latner said...

I wasn't thrilled with this cabernet/merlot blend. The brand itself has had good reviews from some of the wine magazines. I STRONGLY suggest that you go out and buy yourselves a bottle of the merlot and chardonnay and try them before you decide on them for the wedding. (Not that you'll have much time for drinking wine at your wedding, but you want the guests to be happy). I really like the Francis Coppola wines, or if you are looking for a more affordable choice, perhaps Yellowtail - the Australian brand. Good luck!

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home